Saturday, July 7, 2007

UTMOD V2.0

I finished this version a few days ago but hadn�t got a chance to update the forums as yet. This is version 2.0 of the project; the team agreed on a texture and item to create so I went about making it and importing it into unreal as a modification to an existing game mutator.

The mutators function is to randomly spawn *presents* on the map that can be touched and picked up by players *or bots* and award them within game powers, the mod fits the criteria set by the team because it's an item that can be picked up and tracked, they spawn in a random but set pattern and disappear from the map is the subject takes too long to pick it up, however a disappeared item simply respawns in another location.
===============================================
Creation and Design.
I managed to get in touch with the mutaros creator Steve aka The Catcher who gave me a few tips and tricks on how to comprehend unreal script and customize his mutator as I saw fit, the knowledge and assistance was priceless. For future reference here are the URL's that he gave me which contain various tutorials on working with unreal.
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Static_Mesh_Modeling
http://3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=84303
http://fordy.planetunreal.gamespy.com/links.htm
Instead of using 3DSmax and having to export my model using Actor X, Steve recommended that I build the static mesh inside unreal tournament, this design had a 50 percent chance of success as the tutorial didn�t recommend making meshes in UT due to software limitations. I'm pleased to announce that in my case...it was wrong.


Here you can see one of the many static mesh's created, I had to trial and error a bit to get things just right.

This is what the mutator looked like before

And after.
As previously stated Steve�s assistance was invaluable..I know nothing about unreal script besides a few beginner tutorials, coding like this would have been nearly impossible for me under the time restraints if I were on my own.

That�s just a smidge of the code for one of the presents.u
===============================================
2.0B?
I�m calling this 2.0Beta because it isn�t what was first imagined by the team. The final version would contain items that we can manually place in the map using unreal ed. As I work on that I will keep the forums updated on the progress, however I am pleased to know that we have multiple versions of the modification.

_________________
K.Rowe
BC Student
IETG Member
Media Grid Member

No comments: