Monday, July 14, 2008

Get A Life...A Second Life.

Greetings lads and ladies,

K.Rowe here with a few pictures from my recent excursions in secondlife. Why Kamal...what is this second life you keep going on about? Second life is basically a giant user created virtual world. People live, play, trade even fall in love in second life. Why Kamal...what are you doing in second life? Well...Ive got this independent study, we are scoping out second life as a virtual teaching medium and helping to establish Boston College's presence in this huge world.

Sounds cool right? Trust me it is, so far Ive barely scratched the surface of second life logging about ten hours are so. If any of you reading this had any notion of what second life was before I explained it your probably asking about the sex and other profanity that second life is supposedly plagued with. The thing about SL is that its broken into different islands and zones, PG, MA etc... so as long as you mind your P's and Q's its actually quite a tame and civilized place. One member even went as far as to say SL was a smart filter, all the dumb people get stumped at the login screen and eventually go away entirely. In my brief time there I've meet alot of people. Business owners, news anchors, teachers, social scientists. The list goes on and on really; but what each one has in common is an almost poetic relationship with second life and their own opinion on what it is and what it can become. In the coming weeks I hope to come to my own conclusion and experience as much as I can. I've managed to earn myself a bit of respect..popularity and Linden! ~Sl's form of currency~ The key so far is just to remember that Sl is made by people for people...so your going to have all sorts of characters in there. Alright..time for postcards and pictures. Please enjoy and if your ever in SL feel free to drop me a line.
Here you can see the second life UK's learning island. Its chock full of interesting and creative content, from art gallery's to lecture halls. Also thats my avatar looking the part of the poor college student hehe.
Yes...thats a dragon..well a person. This is one of my friends avatar ~don't worry I asked for permission to post his likeness in my blog~ And yes, believe it or not each avatar is a person and you've got to respect their privacy and even personal space...it would look very rude and weird..to be 3 inches away from someone; even in SL.

Here he is again posing for the camera. How nice of em.
Here is another acquaintance of mines in her werewolf form. I used some canned animations and a bit of timing to make a little machinima pose for you.
Here is that werewolf in her human form showing me some building skills. Thats the gunblade from final fantasy 8~for any gamers in the audience~
One of the MANY stores in second life. There was music..and greeters. It felt very authentic..I even won some money in a store lottery and game.
Me sporting some new threads. Yea I finally gave my fashion an upgrade. There goes my ramen noodles money.
Even in second life the stranger folks come out at night. This lot was particularly interesting. It was a huge hangout for avatars from every corner of second life where they could create items and buildings freely. It was actually quite a beautiful and unique place.
Wish you were here! Greetings from an animation store in SL. Yes...I realise my glasses are huge..and im working on that.
Me hanging out with one of the dogs on Sandras Island. Shes one of the more professional Sl members I meet with her own island and store and a huge amount of friends. I had a really pleasant time at her place.
Pictured here are the tons of dogs they have and a few of the people I meet. Yes, they are dogs in second life; and there actually quite nice and well trained. Although I got sniffed by almost each one.
More dogs! Rolling over none the less. Also pictured here are Mol and Blu, two of the ladies I meet. They are also co-owners of the island I was on and successful SL business partners. Mol also got married in second life, I found it a bit strange at first but after reading her profile it was apparent that her and her spouse were in love. They had a wedding and everything inside second life.
Dog whisperer move over..there's a new sheriff in town and he wears purple... More one on one time with the dogs. I did get to speak to the creator of these virtual pups and was assured that each one was running its own AI, pushing the SL servers to their max. A code over load has even gone as far as taking this entire lot off line for a period of time.

Here we can see Blu ~dog lover extrodinar~ forming a doggie conga line...it went in a full circle around us. Very entertaining stuff. This picture also shows off the complexity and beauty of the island I was on. Its hard work building these things, but well worth it.

As you can see I've been a bit of a busy bee in second life. Thus far its been very enjoyable. Until my next update take care.
K.Rowe

No comments: